The Party Wall etc. Act 1996

For Party Wall advice and explanation of the Party Wall Act follow the links.

The Party Wall etc. Act 1996 came into force on 1 July 1997 and applies throughout England and Wales.

It provides a framework for preventing and resolving disputes in relation to party walls, boundary walls and excavations near neighbouring buildings.

What is a Party Wall Agreement?

A Party Wall Agreement or as it is normally known, Party Wall Award, is the document produced by the party wall surveyor(s) acting for the respective owners.(more.....)

Do I need a Party Wall Award?

A Party Wall Award offers protection to both the building owner and adjoining owners but it is questionable whether one is always required.(more.....)

What Works Come Under The Party Wall Act?

Notifiable works will fall in to one of three categories, Work which has a direct affect on a party wall, an excavation close to an Adjoining Building, or the construction of a new wall at the Line of Junction between two properties .(more.....)

What is a Party Wall?

In simple terms a party wall divides the buildings of two owners with the boundary between ownerships usually, but not always, positioned at the centre of the wall. (more.....)

Who May Act As the Party Wall Surveyor?

Surveyor is defined in the Act as any person who is not a party to the works. Basically the individual must be independent but it does not have to be a qualified surveyor. Ideally the person should have a good knowledge of construction and be well versed in Party Wall procedures. (more.....)